Tuesday 10 March 2015

What's Your Thang? and Pear and Cinnamon Tart


When I was a little girl (no Que Sera Sera I promise hahaha), seriously when I was little I wanted to be a singer and a drummer (I know it's odd for a girl) but I seriously wanted so badly to be a drummer. I loved the power and the rhythm drummers had and I really wanted to be one, I also loved girls having a bit of muscle and girl drummers had "guns". I remember when I was young I would walk past our local music shop daily and stare into the window at a set of Pearl Drums and they were beautiful. They were exactly the same drums Peter Chris from the band Kiss used so that was pretty awesome, I also wanted to marry Paul Stanley (lead singer of Kiss) but that is for another post hahaha.

I remember thinking 'I wonder if there will ever be any famous girl drummers?' and then bands like The Runaways, Heart, The Go Go's and The Bangles made me realise girls can rock as good as the boys and boy did they rock. I remember watching Sheila E perform with Prince, thinking this girl has amazing rhythm and more recently listening to Hole (I love love love the songs Celebrity Skin and Malibu) and being so happy that girls are still making an impact in the music scene. Now I haven't added bands such as Bananarama, TLC, Destiny's Child, Salt 'n 'Pepper, The Pointer Sisters and many others. Not because I don't like them, not at all as I was a huge fan of all of them but I wanted to write about the female musicians/bands that inspired me. Don't worry, I was a huge Kim Carnes fan and sang Betty Davis Eyes into my hair brush just like every other 14 year old girl but this is just about actual bands.

Well, I didn't end up being a drummer and my singing is saved for church or the shower or my husband (awe yep all mushy). I do still love listening to music although my taste has changed over the years but every now and then it's nice to pop on some of the old classics from my youth. But I am glad I now am doing what I love, which is cooking and writing and sharing this passion with the people I love and care about and knowing it won't be too long before my first cook book will be ready is a real blast, it's amazing really.

So never give up on your dreams and sometimes your dreams take a different road but it's still a great journey and as long as you end up happy and giving something back to the world, then I think you're a pretty lucky person.



6 comments:

  1. I reckon drumming is pretty cool..love that image of the hand holding the 'sticks'...
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks honey, yep I reckon it's pretty cool as well xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now isn't that funny, after some truly horrendous days, including a period of deep depression, tonight, I danced around my lounge room to Black Eyed Peas, David Bowie, Small Faces, and Donny Hathaway. Thankfully no-one was injured by having to watch. Feeling better now. How can you be so cruel to me by showing that picture of a luscious looking pear tart. This girl is losing kilos. Anyway keep drumming and cooking. Made another HUGE pot of pumpkin soup tonight. Want to come for dinner? Love, Karin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad you danced around to some music, it is so much fun to just let go and ( feel the music). Guess what Karin my Pear and Cinnamon tart is free of gluten and refined sugar so it's o.k to have a slice and it is delicious. It will be in my book for sure. Yummo pumpkin soup ( I love pumpkin soup mmm). Would love to come to dinner chook. We will have to go for a driving holiday and come and see you, miss you heaps. Love Lisa xx

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you're such a big fan of Kiss!?!

    P.S. The tart looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of loads of music but in my youth I was the biggest Kiss fan, loved them. Not as big a fan now but there will always be a special place for them in my memory. glad you like the look of the tart, it tastes wonderful.

      Delete