Friday 20 February 2015

When there is nothing left, you have to dig a little deeper and smoky bacon, mushroom and baby spinach frittata

When there is nothing left you have to dig a little deeper, that's what I decided to title this post as it has been a hard week and I have definitely had to dig deep at times to get things done. I have had good day/bad day good day/bad day and so on and today is not too bad (thank God). I know one of my afflictions is I worry too much and seem to worry about everything. The week before, my husband was very ill and this week my cat was ill so I guess all the worry had taken its toll on me. So I have had to dig a little deeper than usual to get through this week but I guess loads of people go through these types of weeks on a regular basis.

The human spirit always seems to amaze me at how resilient we are and how we get back up after one knock down after another. I am always inspired at people who never give up and who will fight for what they believe in but above all ones who never give up.

But ultimately I am glad I have faith in God to get me through the dark times as I could have hard times and not believe or have hard times and believe. I guess what I am trying to say is no matter what, we are always going to have crappy days and times but having faith makes the darkness a little lighter and it means there is always hope.

Today I thought I would share with you one of my favourite recipes as you can have it for brunch, lunch or dinner. If you are vegetarian you can swap the smoky bacon for roasted sweet potato or fresh pan fried asparagus and lightly roasted pine nuts (the choices are endless). All my recipes are gluten free. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do and all of my friends and family who have tried it.

With the weather so rainy it is a good time to bake and cook so happy baking everyone.

Smoky bacon, mushroom and baby spinach
                          Frittata

Ingredients:

20 gms low salt butter
250 gms smoky bacon diced (you can use more depending on your packet)
1 punnet of either button mushrooms or medium cup mushrooms sliced.
2 handfuls of baby spinach
8 Eggs
300 ml cream
1 cup grated tasty cheese

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 180oC and grease a large oven safe dish. I used a 30cm x 23cm rectangle oven safe dish but you can use any shape dish as long as it is big enough to hold all ingredients.

In a large pan melt butter and sauté smoky bacon for 1-2 mins until cooked, then add mushrooms and cook until softened and a little colour on outer edges. Add baby spinach and sauté for 20-30 seconds or until wilted (it won’t take long).

In a large bowl whisk eggs, add cream and then add cheese and mix well. Stir in bacon, mushroom, spinach and mix well and pour in to greased dish and bake in pre heated oven on 180oC for 40 mins or until golden on top.


Serve with salad and enjoy.

Quote-When there is nothing left, you have to dig a little deeper by Lisa Maree van der Draay

© Lisa Maree van der Draay 2015. Except as provided by the Copyright Act 1968, no part of this publication may be reproduced, communicated to the public without the prior written permission of the publisher.


2 comments:

  1. Great post! Love that quote..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks heaps am glad you enjoyed the post and quote.Hope you enjoy the frittata as well.

    ReplyDelete